“When I sit down to write a book, I do not say to myself, ‘I am going to produce a work of art.’ I write it because there is some lie that I want to expose, some fact to which I want to draw attention, and my initial concern is to get a hearing.” —George Orwell
The term “Professional Writer” is a much debated term, with the most acceptable of conclusions being, there is no entity as a “Professional Writer”. There is either a writer, or there is none. Over my several readings on the subject, I make out that a professional writer is a person who has been writing endlessly, without giving much currency to criticism over his work.
This is true in any line of work, where you become a great at whatever you are doing after facing several success and failures. If you want to become a professional writer, you have to start writing first. Don’t worry if your writings are good or bad. Just write, write and write.
It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn’t give it up because by that time I was too famous. – Robert Benchley
So why is the article as such, secrets of professional seo article writing? This is because the secret is that there is no secret to becoming a professional writer. Through this article I want to help those sitting infront of a blank screen, not knowing what to write, how to start.
To become a seo article writer just mind these things:
- Never form an opinion: When you form an opinion you put your bias into the article and it starts to become twisted and moves away from the facts.
- Know your facts: As a responsible writer it is your duty to present only the correct facts to your reader. Check your source and validate it with another source. An article with wrong facts is like slow poison diminishing the reasoning power of your reader.
- Read your articles aloud: You might want to do it in private else people will think you started talking to yourself. Shorten those sentences which you can’t complete in one breath.
- Take a break: Even if the break is of 10 minutes, take it. Make that coffee, or feed your cat. When you come back and read your copy again, you will be able to find silly mistakes and correct them.
- Mind your language: Command over language is not just about grammar or punctuation; it is also about words and their placement. Your vocabulary power will define how well you can write.
- Writing style: Don’t fuss too much over it. It comes only with a lot of practice and patience. Writing style is about your choice of words and ability to place them appropriately. The only thing you can do to improve your style, is to keep reading and writing.
- Keep it concise: Read your article twice or thrice to remove that which looks like extra baggage. A good writer is able to put same information in lesser number of words. Keep rewriting until you cannot shorten your piece further.
- Check relevancy and flow: Make sure to follow the purpose of your article. You may find much information while you do your research, but you don’t need to put all of it in your article. Readers look for precise actionable advice, your article should provide it.
- Punctuation and grammar: An article with poor punctuation and grammar makes it difficult to understand and read your article, so improve your skills.
Composition: Some bullet points, a few subheadings, examples and a few graphics add to the usability of your article.
Professional writing is not a work of art. The purpose of professional writing is to provide unbiased, true to the fact information, in a pre-defined way, which is useful to the reader in making informed decisions. It will take a lot of time, patience and hard work to develop the qualities of a professional writer. The only way to become one, is to start writing.